Friday, August 26, 2011

The value of blogs, books, "playing" on the internet all day, and chicken noodle soup


I told my mom she should start a blog.  Just because she knows so much.  I stumbled onto a blog when I was looking for something about vocal instruction on the net.  It was super awesome!  This lady, who is raising and homeschooling ten children, just talks about things she thinks/learns/knows, and she has inspired me to do better.  It’s nice when those who are a little older and wiser share with those of us trying to learn everything in a hurry.  I was thinking back to all the things my mom taught me, all the fun things we did.  I remember making gingerbread houses (both from graham crackers and from scratch), cooking all sorts of things, making our own ornaments, gardening, canning, sewing, piano lessons, singing, etc.  It just seems like she knows so much about everything!  I can’t say I do all those things with my kids, but when I read inspiring blogs from other moms, or think about my own childhood, I get up the motivation to do a craft or project that otherwise would not have been on my “to do” list.
Today has been one of those days where I didn’t backslide on the house too much, but definitely didn’t make any progress.  The kids got most of their schoolwork done, but we didn’t do anything spectacular.  What I did do was spend hours upon hours on the computer looking at curriculum, homeschooling support blogs, more resources, reviews, authors, etc.  Sometimes productivity doesn't exactly look productive.  It looks like mom sitting on the computer surfing the net.  I have a big long list of books I want to read (preferably before actually buying them), and a slightly shorter one of books I want for the kids this year.  But right now, I’m going to go eat chicken noodle soup (not homemade but helped along by adding stuff) and play Boggle :) (Demetri's spelling lesson for the day!).

No comments:

Post a Comment