Monday, November 19, 2012

Traditions

Family Traditions: Something mentioned today that I’ve thought about before, is that sometimes we do something once, and then kids remember it forevermore as something we “always” used to do.  I think everyone does it.  Things are cemented in our minds as things we just “did” in our families, not accounting for freak accidents or chance.

Some things I remember in my family, that really stand out to me right now.  Mom making her own cheese, carrot juice, butter, sprouts, and always experimenting with new foods or recipes (usually to make them healthier).  Cutting up deer together.  Going huckleberry picking.  Getting firewood together.  Camping.  Wrangling cows.  Hunting mushrooms.  Dad picking the first water lilies of the season for Mom.  Water fights!  Tubing down the river. Tunnel Beach.  Family reunions. Hot dog roasts and piling slash together.  Canning fruit. Gardening.  Family Home Evening.  Family Scriptures.  Sleeping on the trampoline or back porch.  Quilting with Mom.  Baking bread.  Fishing with Dad.  Potato Salad.  Healthy pies.  Pot roasts on Sundays.  Family prayer at night.  Bedtime stories.  Singing! Sledding parties at the Lloyds.  Tea.  Picking herbs for Mom.  Staying up stuffing stockings for the other kids on Christmas Eve.  Picking out the tree Christmas Eve with Dad.  Dad always telling us we were going to “Timbuktu” whenever it was supposed to be a surprise. -Surprise trips to Grandma’s.  Picking what’s for dinner on your birthday. Going to ward choir with Mom.  Circle games.  Family pictures.  Cleaning out the attic.  Sliding down the barn roof in winter.  Tag on the hay bales.  Harvest Parties and Extension Club meetings at the old schoolhouse.  And so much more.

I was listening to a program that talked about traditions as the glue that holds families together, and intentionally establishing them.  I think I need to do that.



3 comments:

  1. I remember all of those too! Except Mom making cheese or butter--don't remember that one. I've talked about traditions in many of my classes. Now I just have to think of some. Do you have any in mind (not that I'm planning on stealing them...)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember MOST of those :)Yeah I have to think of some that I want to intentionally establish as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, as you can see, my account decided to let me comment again :). At least on my own...haven't tried to comment on other blogs yet.

    Yes, I definitely need to decide what traditions I like. Do I have any in mind? Hmmm, they kind of come randomly. I found the "Elf on the Shelf" idea this year that I thought was pretty cute :) but Shawn didn't like it (I might do it anyway!). But other than that, I'll have to send you a list AFTER I compile it!

    ReplyDelete