Oh my
goodness! I don’t even have words. But I will try. New Year’s Eve we went to the ER for a cut on
Shawn’s knee (obtained while trying to move a new fridge into the house). It took forever, but they did a good
job. When we got home it was about
11:30. After getting some tired kids in
bed (the two middle ones) I realized it was a little loud outside due to
fireworks and that there was no way Xander was going to sleep. I figured we’d better just stay up till the
fireworks were done and then put him to sleep so I wouldn’t be mad when they
woke him up :).
We went over to the Bishop’s house, about 50 yards from ours, and let
Demetri pop those little “poppers” (not sure what they are called).
At midnight…the
sky exploded, along with my eardrums.
Fireworks lit up the sky in every direction, car horns, car alarms,
people cheering. It was mayhem. I was glad I wasn’t trying to sleep. “I thought fireworks were illegal here,” I
said to my neighbor. “Oh they are,” she
replied. “This is nothing compared to what it was like before they were made
illegal 2 years ago.” She proceeded to
tell me about how usually, people were literally dancing in the streets, and
celebrations started early in the day and went for a couple more. She said illegal fireworks were a huge black
market business. The smoke from the
fireworks has been so thick for several days that you couldn’t see where you
were driving, and it was so loud all night there wasn’t really any sleeping. Amazing.
I see why they banned fireworks here.
It didn’t make a dent. Police
helicopters flew over our heads like they were really going to catch one of the
thousands of people lighting off fireworks; that was pretty laughable
actually. Definitely an unforgettable
experience. Next year, I will just plan to stay up in the first place!
No comments:
Post a Comment