I've seen about 7 centipedes since I've lived here. It's unnerving to find them in your house though, and this is the second one. As mentioned on Facebook, the neighbor was singing off-key at the top of his lungs around 1:00 a.m., and I was not in a good mood. Finally I woke Shawn up to go talk to the neighbor or the manager. He's awesome like that. So he was talking to the neighbor and I grabbed a broom to sweep something up when I spotted a centipede in the hall by my bedroom door. I silently screamed and followed it with the broom, knowing there was no way I could kill it with a broom (because stomping on them with boots isn't even a sure bet). I guided him a little with the broom, trying not to lose him, but he was mad- and fast, and slipped into the molding when I thought I had him pinned against the wall.
When Shawn got back he had to rip the molding off and find a knife and cut it in half (the only way we know to kill them instead of just injure them) while I didn't watch. Poor guy was up half the night (not that he probably could have slept anyway knowing there was a centipede in the hall).
I just didn't sleep. I couldn't really. I scoured the internet for ways to keep them out of my house and yard. I might not have cared so much if I hadn't already been bitten in my bed in the middle of the night, and then spent the next two weeks in pain. As Shawn says, "There are some things I won't miss when I leave Hawaii."
No comments:
Post a Comment