14th July 2011- Thursday
It’s awesome to be back on the ranch. I don’t realize just how much I miss it until I get back here. This morning I got up and stacked firewood for a couple of hours. The kids have disappeared with my 11 year old sister and 7 year old brother, and I doubt I’ll see much of them this week. They did, however, come help stack wood this morning. I can’t believe how much more active a lifestyle I live when I’m here. After firewood Tyler and I went to help Dad where he’s logging (at Solberg’s). I was supposed to drive the skidder and Tyler was going to hook the logs. We got sidetracked picking berries for a couple of hours (at Dad’s instruction), and then we helped. It was good time spent with my brother. I’m pretty rusty on the skidder and the brakes are bad…I’m not sure how much help I really was. I busted one of the logs in two, and forgot to bring the blade up a couple of times. I kind of think he could have done it faster without me but was taking the time to reteach me a skill.
After work we went to town to get diesel. It’s the only time I would go into a store looking like a hobo and smelling much worse. When I’m with others just as dirty and smelly and I’m in Kamiah…people just assume you’ve been working hard.
All in all, it was a good long day. I was so tired I went to bed around 10:30, causing me to believe that my insomnia would be quickly cured by some good hard work. Even the kids are sleeping better.
Oh yes, and Shawn now has a bird--a parakeet to be exact. Our neighbors were driving across the country and were getting rid of it. He, now named Basil I believe, is keeping Shawn from being too lonely.
Shawn and a parakeet. We should've seen it coming I suppose...Who knew hard work could make you tired?!
ReplyDeleteAww, I miss the ranch. And picking huckleberries. And going to bed at 10:30.
ReplyDelete