I am posting on my blog, which means I have a computer My laptop is not yet fixed, but I’m sure my husband will get around to it someday. I’m typing from a free computer Shawn obtained at a yard sale (free because they weren’t sure all the parts were there or if it worked). After buying a few cords and erasing all their stuff off of it, he has assured me that it works wonderfully, telling me how wonderful the ergonomic wireless keyboard and mouse are, and how top-of-the-line the computer was when it came out. I’m just glad that though my husband doesn’t fix things around the house very often, he’s very handy with a few pieces of metal and some cords. Second, sometimes yard sales pay off.
And this is several blog posts combined into one.
ALL ROADS LEAD TO THE OCEAN
We are in Hawaii. We’ve been here almost month now. Most of the time, the boys and I have been in the hotel rooms. The other day, Teddy told me how we were moving to Hawaii. It’s been pretty hard to convince him that we’re already here. Guess I should have made a bigger deal about it when we stepped off the plane, but I though they all understood. I was trying to explain what an island is by telling them that we’re surrounded by water. If you follow any of the roads on the island long enough, you’ll get to the ocean. That made me slightly claustrophobic, but I guess any body of land is the same way...it’s just a lot smaller here.
How am I liking Hawaii? I don’t know yet. I haven’t seen much of it. I love the hotel staff :), and the weather is great. The ocean is warm enough that even I will swim in it. The people are nice, and though the traffic is horrible, the people are nice enough to let you in where you need to be anyway. I do not like the restaurant food at the hotel. That’s okay. I can usually manage to eat in the hotel room instead.
I’ve been warned about centipedes and scorpions. Haven’t seen any yet, but I’m sure I will at some point. Cockroaches are supposed to be plentiful, but I haven’t seen any of them yet either. I probably need to get out more. We have, however, seen, caught, fed, and played with lizards. They are everywhere. Little tiny geckos. At least, I think they’re geckos.
HOW TO BUY A HOUSE
I’m still not sure. But we’re working on it. I’ve been on the phone a lot, faxed a lot of papers, signed a lot of papers, hunted for the correct papers, and stayed up nights redesigning “my” kitchen in my head. Still scheduled to close on the 19th.
DAILY LIFE
Every morning the kids do their chores. Which makes housekeeping happy. Our housekeeper says we have very well-behaved little boys who don’t run around the room and scream like a lot of the other children. I think she’s listening outside the door at the wrong times :). And that they are so good to be so helpful.
We have a devotional most days. It consists of a song, prayer, scripture or gospel/life topic, and a short discussion of our plan for the day.
We also try to go to the pool for an hour most days. I know, nothing like the ocean, but it’s what we’ve got close at hand for the moment. Funny, an hour a day and Teddy barely looks caucasian anymore, haha. Okay, a little exaggerated.
I’m practicing more in the crockpot and reading up on education (homeschool mostly) and herbs. I have grand plans but most of them have to wait a little while. We’re planning a vertical garden (Thanks for the suggestion Miguel ) and several other projects for our new home.
Hope you are able to close in two days. Our closing on the house was one delay after another and is part of the reason I am nervous to ever buy another house.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to finally be able to read your update.. buying a house is a major pain..we had lots of delays...but it does eventually happen...I love you Annie and I'm happy your enjoying Hawaii :)
ReplyDeleteDid you close on the house???
ReplyDelete