We’ve had some interesting times lately. Wednesday we went to Paradise Cove with
friends and swam with the turtles. The
kids explored, and the baby sat in a sort of stunned/comatose state as he
warily watched the water and sand around him.
Demetri got a little careless and jumped from rock to rock instead of
slowly climbing them, resulting in a pretty good fall. I thought for sure it was another trip to the
ER as an adult helped him get back to me.
His foot was covered in blood.
But after it was cleaned up, we saw it was just a shallow cut. It didn’t stop him from screaming into a
towel for the next 20 minutes, but I guess that’s just part of his dramatic
personality.
Friday we had “friend homeschool,” as a couple
friends like to join us most Fridays. We
wrote beach stories for our books, and now I need to print the pictures of the
turtle for them. Then we played math
computer games. More neighborhood
children wandered in and listened to Pandora while I cleaned. A pillow fight eventually developed, and I
had to stop cleaning to make some ground rules.
1.
Anyone who hits the fan, tv, etc is
out till the next round.
2.
You can’t hit anyone who doesn’t
have a pillow.
3.
If you drop your pillow or sit down
on the couch you’re out until the next round.
4.
If you’re too hard on the little
kids and they get hurt you’re out.
5.
The baby is a bomb. Anyone who touches him is out.
They had a blast! We had to stop for a mandatory water break
because I could see the sweat dripping from the older boys. All in all, I think we had 12 children and a
whole lot of pillows in the living room.
They did a great job at following the rules! While they were waiting for Uncle Shawn to
get home (because I told them he could whip them all in a pillow fight) we
ended up doing karaoke to Disney songs on Youtube. And the Hokey Pokey. You should have seen the “too-cool-for-you”
8-12-year-old boys doing the Hokey Pokey.
It was all for Xander. Sweet kids :).
Saturday one of our (8 yr old) friends came
over and made bread with me. Then we all
made personal pizzas. During lunch he
exclaimed, “This is like my second home!”
And my kids told him he was welcome to live here forever and be a
brother. Hmm...do I have a say in this? Haha.
Awwwwe, I love all of these things. It's awesome you're "one of the cool hangout homes"!! I wish we were still neighbors. I have a lot to learn from you!!! Those kiddos are sure lucky you guys are there
ReplyDeleteI agree!! I'd rather have the whole neighborhood at my house than watch my kids ask me if they can go play with other families all day. You're cool!! Who'd a thunk it?? Excited to visit this year!! P.S. You're doing great. But I do need more pictures :)
ReplyDeleteWell thank you ladies :). I just decided that I would have an "open door policy" where kids could come play whenever they want (after they come home from school, that is) and I would do my darnedest to keep them all busy. But really, this kind of thing doesn't happen often!
ReplyDeleteHow fun! Except Demitri getting hurt... but everything else sounds fun. : )
ReplyDelete