My midwife came to the house today because I'm now at 37 weeks. This pregnancy has been completely different from any other. First, I've only gained 25 lbs instead of my normal 50 or so. I have exercised (almost) the whole time. I have stopped, but then decided I better keep jogging. Right now I'm mostly just walking, and not even a lot at that, but it's more than I've ever done with other pregnancies. I'm eating way better...although I've slipped up a little during this holiday season. But mostly, there's just no sugar/junk food/processed food in my house so I only have healthy choices even when I want something else.
Second, I have had no swelling, no fatigue, no headaches, no heartburn/indigestion and minimal acid reflux, no leg cramps, or most of the other unpleasant stuff that comes with pregnancy. This is the first time the baby has been really engaged in my pelvis for the last few weeks though so when I'm walking and she moves she hits a nerve that drops me to my knees. That usually happens several times a day, and people panic when it happens in public. It's painful, and extremely annoying. But it's the only problem I've had at all. Surprising, and nice, for this stage of pregnancy. And because the baby is so low, I can even breath fine. Usually they are so high I wonder where my lungs could possibly be hiding.
So although I've never really cared before, and I've never done much for exercise after high school, I'm becoming a huge advocate for exercise and a good diet before and during pregnancy. Because it's the only explanation I have for the difference. I guess if I have another one I'll have to try it again and test it, but I can't imagine another reason it would be so vastly different...unless it's the awesome Hawaii weather :).
As a side note, my midwife thinks this baby is coming very soon. I'm praying for after Christmas, and counting on after New Years' too.
You said "she"... does that mean you know your baby is a girl or you just hope your baby is a girl (because you already have 4 boys)?
ReplyDeleteI asked her that too Erica, and she doesn't know for sure.
ReplyDeleteAnnie, I'm going to try the no junk food/sugar/processed food thing my next pregnancy, and see if it helps with the weight of me and the baby at all (Joey was pretty big). Thanks! :D