My
favorite people are people who have influenced me deeply, people who love me,
people I want to emulate.
Today I would like to share about one of my favorite people, my
mother-in-law, whom I call mom. :) My mother-in-law has taught me a lot of
things. She has taught me about the
value of appreciation- and that a little of it goes a long way. I have observed her consistently writing
notes of appreciation, usually with her own little touches—stickers, homemade
cards out of pictures, homemade envelopes.
Even when she’s super busy, she still thinks of others! When I call and say, “Whatcha doin’?” it
turns out she is often baking something for someone, or making something for
someone, or thinking of someone. Really,
the thank-you cards I write, the gifts I give, the few times I do happen to
remember birthdays, and the letters I answer can very possibly be traced back
to this lady!
Mom loves her husband, and shows him she loves him. This is another thing I’m practicing--demonstrating love. She cooks food he likes, she tells him how
much she loves him, she hugs him, and she tells others what a wonderful man he
is! I guess I should start figuring out
what food my husband likes huh!
Mom loves the gospel.
She really loves the gospel. She
loves to study the gospel, is always willing to have a discussion about
principles and insights, and can frequently be seen sitting at the kitchen
table studying the scriptures. She is
excited about family history. She has
been an inspiration to me, and a huge motivation! Seeing someone you respect and love spend
their precious time immersed in the gospel reemphasizes its importance. If
that is what they are concerned with, shouldn’t I be a little more involved in
this as well? I think.
Mom cares about people.
She says she doesn’t, but it shows in her actions. She tries to please others, or at the very
least to be conscious of what she says and make sure it’s considerate. She notices things I never would…but I’m
starting to now after associating with her for a while!! Last but not least, she is fun. She’s fun to be around, fun to talk to, fun
to go shopping with, fun to do anything
with.
These are really just a few of the things I love about my mother-in-law, or that she's teaching me. I am one of the luckiest girls in the world to have her in my life and be able to call her family :).
No comments:
Post a Comment