I wrote this in list form because it’s all a little overwhelming,
and lists are therapeutic. More so when
I get to check things off.
1. 1. I have a tibia evulsion fracture (not what they said in the ER), and some
damaged muscles. I was ice skating and
fell.
2.
2. The ACL fractured the bone and is currently
unattached, floating around in space, with a small piece of bone on the end.
3. 3. I don’t like surgery. I don’t want to do surgery unless it’s
absolutely necessary. The doctors said
it’s just fine and poses no risk to try to let it heal naturally.
4. 4. My physical therapist says a knee is either a “coper”
or not a coper. A “coper” will develop muscle
around the knee to compensate for the missing ACL. He named a couple of NBA player names that I’m
sure everyone but me recognizes, and said that they went on to play
professionally without an ACL. That was
encouraging. I decided (God-willing)
that my knee is definitely a “coper.”
5.
5. Physical therapy is hard and frustrating. The things he tells me to do seem
ridiculously easy, yet my muscles will not obey me and move when I tell them
to. I feel like some of them (muscles)
are not even there (go figure). There
are six exercises I’m supposed to do once an hour. The six exercises take me about 20 minutes to
go through. I think I’m going to have to
work up to this.
6.
6. I’m very blessed. Ladies from church have helped so much-
cleaning, cooking, and caring. My
husband is awesome (even if I am upset about my messy house). He loves spending time with his kids,
cooking, and doesn’t mind looking after his invalid wife.
7.
7. I can now shower, get dressed, and possibly put
my shoes on by myself (note to self: buy shoes with Velcro instead of
shoelaces). I can sweep the whole living
room from a sitting position on the couches, and folding laundry is a breeze. However, it is dangerous to try to carry
plates, pieces of trash, piles of laundry, or a phone while operating
crutches. Also, those trash cans you
open by stepping on them- it’s a trap; it looks easy, but doesn’t work the way
you’d think it would.
8.
8. All in all, all is well- or will be. I will get better, hopefully sooner rather
than later. My kids are safe and
healthy; their guardian angels work overtime.
My husband is superman.
Priesthood blessings have made all the difference to me, and I’m very
happy to have the Gospel in my life. It
makes everything better.
Yea glad you are back to blogging. Hopefully the physical therapy will work out well.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I think it will go well. So far it at least serves as motivation to do my exercises during the week :).
DeleteI think you should blog more since you're an invalid :)
ReplyDeleteOkay. I posted another one. My child may never forgive me, but I did it anyway. And yes, since I have more time on the couch than I know what to do with, I should be blogging more!
DeleteOh look! Double numbers. Maybe I'll have to figure out how to fix that someday...
ReplyDelete