Sunday, January 8, 2012

It's been a good weekend


Shawn took Teddy to a home teaching meeting this evening, complete with backpack full of coloring, books, and stuffed animals.  Teddy took such a long, late nap that I had no illusions of getting him to bed at his normal bedtime tonight.  He was ecstatic to be the only one to go with Daddy, and it’s good to have a few one-on-one activities.  

Demetri is reading a book to Olie, and helping Olie to read some words to him.  I can’t believe my 4 yr old is sounding out words already!  He’s working on Hop on Pop.  Go phonics :).  He wrote the ABC’s today in sacrament meeting, while quietly singing the song, and is starting to write words like “cat” and “dad.”  Demetri is struggling with writing, but Shawn thinks it will be like reading.  He hated it until he started to get good at it.  Now he can read for a couple of hours a day without getting tired of it.  Here’s hoping.

I’m packing, and packing, and, hilariously enough, still wrapping Christmas presents as I pack (for people in Idaho), though most of them are wrapped.  The kids keep asking who they're for, and are eager to pass them out.  I’m also reading John Adams (by David McCullough), which I love.  I need to have a notebook with me.  I used to have a notebook specifically for books I was reading but I must have gotten out of the habit somewhere.

Shawn is reading Journey to the Center of the Earth to Demetri.  I’m not sure Demetri gets much of it, but he enjoys the time and insists on it every evening.  He has a 4 day weekend coming up, yay!  Maybe we’ll actually get to finish the running Scrabble game we have going.  And maybe I’ll actually put it away after this round…since we’ve been playing very slow game after game for the last several weeks.  I’ve learned a lot of new words that way. 

Olie’s new famous quotes (this must just be the age): “Mom, why do you follow me everywhere?” (said while we were in the huge Dennis the Menace Park this weekend).  And when I asked him if he wanted his coat zipped up he said, “Yes!  Then people will think I’m a different person!”  Haha, I guess changing shirt colors does that?  

Both of the younger boys have taken to calling Shawn "Dada."  No idea why.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting more stuff on your blog! I love hearing about what you and the family are doing. I really miss you and enjoy seeing all the fun stuff you are up to. :) I love the pictures too!!! I sure do miss those kids! Love you Annie!

    ReplyDelete