About the time I
had several rowdy boys (not mine) jumping around on the furniture I decided we needed a little
structure this summer. The kids in the
neighborhood are bored. When they get
bored, some of the kids get together and bully other kids, pick on each other,
or just get cranky, and wild.
So, today was
COOKING CLUB. Every Friday at
10:00. And we had so much interest that
I think we’ll have to split into two groups, an older group and a younger
one. I didn’t think the older boys would
come in force like that. We started with
something simple: deviled eggs. Easy
right? Try teaching10 kids how to make
them while the baby screams and holds on to your legs. (I finally sedated him with a bottle.) But it all worked out with minimal mess, and
they loved them. I’ve had requests for
pie and kabobs, but in order to preserve my waning sanity, next week is actually
much easier than either. I’ve noticed
kids have a hard time waiting for things to cook or set, so before I try
anything where they have a prolonged wait, I will have to think up some crafts
to fill up the waiting time.
I’m currently
trying to decide on a time for story time in the park :), and art. The outside/water games will be a little more
random, and more organized pillow fights have been requested. I’ve promised the kids I’d post a schedule on
my door at the beginning of the week so they’ll know when stuff is happening,
with a list of stuff they need to bring, if anything. What have I gotten myself into?! At least my kids are happy, and will probably
have plenty to do. Now excuse my while I scour the internet for creative ideas that will help me survive the summer.
Awe.some.
ReplyDeleteAww. How cute. You're the neighborhood hangout place!! Just make sure they're not exploding your budget :) They will bring the stuff if you tell them (due to the power of begging and an insatiable desire for peace and quiet by one parent or another). I think it's a worthy cause. Go super mom!
ReplyDeleteThat's so neat! Glad you're finding things to occupy the neighborhood kids. : )
ReplyDelete