Friday, September 12, 2014

What's a Commissary?

This really isn't an "army wife" blog.  But I thought I might write a little more about the military after a conversation-via-text with a little sister that left me laughing.  I don't talk about it much with people who aren't in the military I guess, so I don't realize what people don't know.  I am in my own little world over here (along with thousands of other military families, that is). 

So here are just a couple of random thoughts on my personal experience with military life.

I was talking with my husband just this evening.  He remembered a little girl about 2, who had just PCSed (moved) to the area and was telling him all about her very best friends and how wonderful they were.  He remembered feeling so sad for her that she didn't understand that she was not going to see them any more and would be making new friends.  I realized that my children are now at ages that will cause them to see this whole "moving" thing in a very different light.  Maybe "unfair" instead of "a new adventure."  Not that moving in and of itself is all that uncommon.  It's the moving every 2-4 years that sounds hard on kids.  And, from what I hear, it is.  They hand out pamphlets on helping kids cope.  There are hundreds of tips on helping your children keep some stability while being uprooted every few years.  As Shawn said, with no friends you remember growing up with, from way back when.  I have friends like that, but he doesn't.  So, one of the things I resolved to do is have good family traditions we can take wherever we go.  The gospel will be wherever we go.  And I am personally going to be excited about and love every place we are stationed.  Period.  There is no "I really don't want to be here."  I want my children to see the adventure in it, so I have to see it too.

I used to think the movie At War With the Army was a funny movie.  Now there are some parts that make me laugh until I cry.  Because they are so authentic.  Who knew?  Of course, it isn't really the funniest thing when he comes home announcing a very important formation at 0900 and I realize that he'll have to leave the house at 0600--so that the company can make sure everyone is there an hour early, which means that someone will be calling by 0730 to make sure he's there an hour early, so he better leave here by 0600 at the latest to account for traffic and make sure that he's there by 0700 so everyone will be happy.  We only live 25 minutes from the base!  It's not always that ridiculous.  But sometimes it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment