Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ocean Grove

I found the most awesome school today! It's called Ocean Grove Charter, and it's technically a public school, but so very different from any other school I've seen. First of all, the parents are the teachers, like with K12. But that's where the similarity ends. The parents make individual plans for each child after filling out an "interests and abilities map" that tells the way your child learns the best. Then you sit with an advisor and they help you pick subjects, goals for the year, and you get to choose from sooo many different programs. (I haven't counted them yet.) They offer a decent explanation of all those different styles (Montessori, IB, Waldorf, etc) and then offer courses from certified vendors. They have an amazing range of subjects, including 20 foreign languages, piano lessons, band and orchestra, and leadership skills. Since it's a public school it's government funded, but the $1800 or so a year that goes to each child is a little more fluid than with most schools. The parents and kids get to decide where it's spent. I think that's why they have so many different options.
All I started out looking for was an umbrella school because that's the only way I can homeschool here, but I'm definitely going apply here. My son has been asking if he can learn Chinese (like Daddy), and Tagalog, and I've been looking for tutors or a good online curriculum. This school has actual immersion classes. I even asked what the catch was because it sounded too good to be true, but the secretary just laughed and thanked me.

Shawn is going to Indiana to pack our things. The question is, do I drive him to San Francisco in the middle of the night with all the kids, or pay the $75 parking fee and let him drive himself. It would save me the trip back too...and trying to keep track of my kids in an airport...worth it but can I afford it!

No comments:

Post a Comment